Help India Defeat Covid-19
Thousands of people need your help
What’s going on?
- The crisis is now entering it’s fourth week and just today India reported 3,700 deaths. With new daily cases reported to be over to 380,000, this crisis is unbelievably still 2 weeks from its projected peak
- In just one state in India, Maharashtra alone in the last seven days there have been 749 deaths that’s 113 deaths PER day
- The best sources indicate death are being undercounted by factors ranging from 3 times to 5 times. That would indicate a wrenching 10,000 people lost daily
- Indian social media accounts are rife with cries for help, for a parent, sibling, spouse and sadly even children
- Chris Murray the head of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington explained that India is looking at 5 million infections a day in India.
- He explained that very quickly the virus will run out of people to infect even in a country with a whopping 1.4 billion people to populate it.
- Dr. Murray further explained that the death count would be highest in the final weeks of May
Who is Helping?
- Many countries have mobilized to help India, but the scale of the crisis is overtaking relief efforts. Here are some notable highlights
- There are also a lot of multilateral agencies that are swinging in to action.
- Finally there are admirable citizens initiatives ranging from organized Non Profits to individuals who are mobilizing in a heartwarming fashion to help. It is impossible to list all, but here are few that we are tracking closely
How You can Help
There are decades of government apathy that India’s private citizenry are fighting to overcome. A chronic underinvestment in healthcare: about 1% of the budget (17% in the USA) has led to a lack of public infrastructure that only India’s citizens can solve for in the years to come. There will be a time for those changes.
For now, you can help by
- Amplifying the message
- Share on your social media. Share the message as you choose, so more people can mobilize
- If you choose to share the contents of this site then just click the buttons below
- Contribute. Redcross, Unicef, Oxfam are all commendable organizations to donate to. If you choose to focus your contributions most readily with people on ground, please consider:
- Contribute to Kolkata Foundation
- Contribute to Hope Foundation
- Your contributions qualify for tax free charitable deductions
- If you know somebody in need of help, here are listings of some useful citizen initiatives that are providing information to people at various locations in India. We try to keep this updated frequently, but please bear with us if some of these are older
- Finally, Get Involved. There are some structural issues that the USA and multilateral bodies can help with. Learn more and add your voice to the movement to waive the TRIPS patent protections for Covid vaccines
Get in touch:
“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan